Here’s a quick dinner that Chris and I enjoy. Drumsticks tend to run about 1/3 of the price of B/S chicken breasts at stores around here. And they’re damn tasty. Chris dubbed these ‘Dino Wings’. Not that this will be shocking, but we leave the skin on.
5 lbs Drumsticks ($5.80)
Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
Frank’s Hot Sauce and Ranch Dressing for dipping (maybe $0.75?)
1. Lay out the drumsticks on a baking rack in a roasting pan. I cram them in to fit as many as possible.
2. Dust with seasoning salt.
3. Broil on high for about 15 min per side. Flip the drumsticks once the skin starts to raise and get crisp. After broiling 15(ish) min per side, shut the oven off and leave the chicken in there for another 5-10 minutes to ensure they’re fully cooked. (Our old oven required longer cooking times than this- adjust accordingly based on your oven).
4. Let the chicken sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. These things come out piping hot. True story: one night, I couldn’t wait to eat because I was freaking starving. I got a blister on the roof of my mouth. That sucked.
5. Dip in Franks and Ranch. Sometimes we serve these with carrots and celery.
Note: I have had success preparing wings in this same manner with adjusted cooking times. However, wings cost about double what drumsticks do, so that’s a luxury I reserve for when I’m really craving some wings.
Total cost: $6.55 (a little more if you have celery and carrots)
Servings: About 5
Cost per serving: $1.31